Are these UDC members the white supremacists who put up all those racist monuments BLM has warned us about? How about those Confederate veterans above them? Some mighty desperate and despicable folks if you ask me.

Monday, October 21, 2019

Peaceful, Easy Feeling Out at Hainesville This Past Saturday


Well, peaceful and easy until the Prelude to the Battle of Atlanta started.  Then it got rather noisy when all the cannons opened up, followed by musketry.

This past Saturday and Sunday, Hainesville, Illinois, had its annual Civil War Encampment and Battle.  I was there on Saturday.  Even though I know a lot about the Civil War, I learned a lot more like "Battle Logs," "Goober Peas" and aerial wounds.   I'll be writing about some of these in my Saw the Elephant blog.

But, the biggest plus was that no ultra thugs showed up to mar the proceedings.  There was no Charlottesville.  And, I am talking about both sides of the Confederate issue.  And, the Lake County Forest Preserve District president evidently was not there either.  It was through his efforts that one of the premier Civil War events in the whole state and that was Civil war days at Lakewood Forest Preserve in Wauconda.  Guess he was afraid to see one of those Confederate flags, you know.  Must not offend the president, you know.

There were even a few black people learning about history out there.  And, quite a few children ranging from ages three to teens.  And I never did see one of them staring at their cell phones.  However, I did see some of the re-enactors on phones which didn't seem to look right.

One of the strangest things I ever saw was Robert E. Lee on a cell phone out at Wauconda one year.

A Trip Back Into History.  --Old Secesh

No comments:

Post a Comment